What You Need:
- Small baking pan
- 3 ripe, but firm, bananas
- Small, microwave-safe bowl
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels (Note: Choose morsels without hydrogenated oils)
- 6 craft sticks
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Wax paper or aluminum foil
What to Do:
- Line Baking Pan. Line a small baking pan with wax paper or foil.
- Prepare Bananas. Peel the bananas and cut each in half. Slide a craft stick about halfway into the cut end of each banana. Set the "banana pops" aside on the lined pan.
- Melt Chocolate Morsels. Put the chocolate morsels in the bowl and microwave uncovered on high for 1 minute. Stir the morsels. If they aren't completely melted, microwave another 10 seconds and stir again. Repeat as needed until all the morsels are melted. But be careful not to overcook the morsels, because they will scorch.
- Dip Bananas in Chocolate. Dip the bananas into the melted morsels and coat completely with a thin layer of chocolate. Use a spoon to help spread the coating evenly. If desired, you can now roll the coated bananas in chopped nuts.
- Freeze Bananas. Lay the coated bananas on the lined baking pan so that they don't touch each other. Cover the pan with more wax paper or foil and put the pan in the freezer. Freeze for about three hours, or until the bananas are solid.
Reprinted with permission from National Wildlife Federation. For more family fun & kids games check out www.nwf.org!