#SaveOurWaterways is a collaboration with the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) and the Indiana Wildlife Federation (IWF) created to raise awareness about the decreased funding for habitat, wildlife, and water programs in the currently proposed federal budget. Both IWF and NWF share a deep-rooted concern about what these proposed cuts mean for wildlife conservation in Indiana and across the country. Specifically, IWF recognizes one of the greatest threats to Indiana would be the repeal of the Clean Water Act--nearly 45 years after the passage of this legislation we have made tremendous progress, but many Hoosier lakes and rivers are still not safe for swimming or fishing. Rolling back the Clean Water Rule will certainly impede future progress.
The Clean Water Rule is open for public comment through August 28th. Make YOUR voice heard HERE
We need your help!
In order to minimize these cuts, IWF and other organizations around the country are rallying citizens and encouraging them to call their representatives to urge them to protect these programs.
TAKE ACTION TODAY by calling the Switchboard of the US House of Representatives at (202) 225-3121, or click HERE to find your representative.
When you call, you can say:
"Hello, my name is _____ and I am an Indiana resident from ______ County. I am calling to voice my concern about the lack of funding in the budget proposal for issues of water and habitat conservation in the U.S. I support the continued funding of these sorts of programs. Thank you for taking my opinion into consideration."
Then make sure to tell us (and your friends) you called by posting on social media using the #SaveOurWaterways!
LIKE TO TWEET? Here are some ready to use!
- Repealing #CleanWaterRule could threaten the 110 million wetland acres in US. @EPA must protect these to #SaveOurWaterways.
- Repeal of #CleanWaterRule threatens 60% of US streams. @EPA protect our water for drinking, fishing, swimming! #SaveOurWaterways
- @POTUS @EPA: Indiana wants clean water, healthy fish & wildlife habitat. #SaveOurWaterways for hunters, anglers, and #wildlife
- 83% of America’s hunters, anglers SUPPORT strong #CleanWaterAct protections. @POTUS @EPA please #SaveOurWaterways
- Wetlands filter pollutants, protect wildlife habitat, & protect communities from floods. #SaveOurWaterways